City WorkshopNewcastle upon Tyne
Newcastle upon Tyne (link to the region)
The site depicted here at three points in time is the Bewick workshop in the south-east corner of St Nicholas's churchyard, in the city of Newcastle upon Tyne. This was Bewick's second workshop, used from 1790. Before that date the workshop was a few yards away to the right of this site. The whole area was demolished for the new Milburn House, a large complex of offices built on the steep hill of 'the Side' and completed in 1905. The red brick building in the photograph shows the actual location, though no trace of the original building is to be seen.
1. The first picture shows an engraving by Bewick's former apprentice John Jackson for his Treatise on Wood Engraving, 1839.
2. The second picture is a late 19th century view from a small photograph recently re-discovered in a scrapbook. (B. Collingwood Stevenson).
3. The third picture is a digital photograph of the same site as it is today in the 21st century.
Erected in 2002
A close-up of the comemorative bust that was placed here by the Newcastle city fathers in 1905 in recognition of the work that Thomas Bewick carried out on this important site during his long and productive working life in Newcastle upon Tyne. It is a bronze copy, by an unknown hand, of Edward Baily’s marble bust in the Newcastle Literary and Philosophical Society.
You will find more photographs of Bewick's Newcastle on the Society's Flickr page click here.